What is the SEND Code of Practice?
what is the send code of practice?
The SEND code of practice is a statutory code containing:
- details of legal requirements that you must follow without exception
- statutory guidance that you must follow by law unless there’s a good reason not to
It explains the duties of local authorities, health bodies, schools and colleges to provide for those with special educational needs under part 3 of the Children and Families Act 2014.
The code, which applies to England, is for:
- headteachers and principals
- governing bodies
- school and college staff
- special educational needs (SEN) co-ordinators
- early years providers
- other education settings
- local authorities
- health and social services staff